With a “can cook anything” attitude, an electric skillet is the handiest kitchen cookware. Ivy League legends say this helps survive through sleepless nights of dorm nightmares. But if you think it’s just for someone who’s struggling to eat during their academic hustles, think again!
Imagine all the things an electric cook allows you to fry, sauté, or even bake! We’re talking breakfast bowls to steaks to French delicacies. Whether it’s dinner for one or you’re having a Sunday brunch with the girls, this is a one-man-army taking care of all you want to cook.
But if you’re only looking for healthy options today, this cookware can also help you stick to a healthier lifestyle, and that is why we’re covering a bunch of healthy electric skillet recipes to try in the kitchen.
Frying Potatoes in an Electric Skillet
We’re starting with an easy skillet-fried potato recipe. It’s ready in 40minutes to serve your friends in between casual conversations or as a fun side dish for brunch. You can have this brown rice with as well.
If you’re good at finding new red-skinned potatoes at the market, you’ll be lucky to get the perfect season and crisp. Here’s what you’ll need to achieve the healthiest version of fried potatoes:
● 6-7 medium unpeeled potatoes
● 3 tbsp. of canola oil (any vegetable oil of choice)
● 1 quartered and thinly sliced large onion
● 1 diced red bell pepper
● 1 finely minced medium garlic
● 1 tbsp. of freshly ground paprika
● 1 tbsp. of salt
● Freshly ground black pepper and other spices/herbs of choice
- Pour the canola oil and heat it for a minute or two in the skillet. Carefully add the onions and sauté. Now add the minced garlic and the bell pepper, stir for at least a minute.
- Now it’s time to add your potatoes, the paprika, and a dash of salt, black pepper, and any mixed spice according to your taste. Stir and mix it all up, cover the lid to let it cook for around 15 minutes. Check-in for tenderness and stir more so that the ingredients season well together.
- Add more spice if you like and keep cooking.
- When the potatoes turn brown and perfectly seasoned, turn off your skillet, let the steam release by uncovering the lid.
- Serve on a plate with sprinkles of parsley or thyme for an added kick and healthy factor.
How to Cook Steak in Electric Skillet
Outdoors barbecues are friendly and casual – sure. But how about setting the table with fancy sheets, good wine and the perfect indoors steak? It would make a lovely dinner for a significant occasion. We’ll teach you how to cook chicken steak for a beginner. It’s great for two people but if you’re inviting more parties over, double or triple the portions of ingredients and let the intense aroma of the steak take over!
Choose the temperature
Decide at what temperature you want to cook the steak. A classic medium is the safest option, but if you want, there are different adjustments of well done or rare, or you can even go bold with a unique combination of seasonings.
● 2 chicken strips of choice
● 2 tbsp. of softened butter
● 1 tbsp. herbs of your choice
- Prep the meat strips by seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, take the softened butter and mash it with the herbs. We love Italian herbs like thyme, rosemary, and oregano. After mixing well, let it sit in the refrigerator.
- While the meat strips season set a high temperature and preheat your electric skillet. When it reaches the temperature, pop in the meat.
- Wait for the meat to sizzle all the good stuff, check if it’s browned so you can flip for the other side to cook.
- It’s time to turn the heat on your skillet halfway down. Put the lid on and let the chicken cook like this until you’re satisfied with its look and aroma.
- Carefully place it on a wide plate with the herb butter on the side and serve with your chosen décor.
Cooking Pork Barbecue Ribs in an Electric Skillet
Got a couple of hours in your hand? Let’s barbecue a delicious portion of pork ribs.
You will need the following.
● Pork ribs
● 2 tbsp. melted butter
● ¾ cup Mustard
● ¾ cup Sauce
● 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
● 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
● 2 tbsp. Vinegar
● 1 cup of water
● 2 tbsp. Brown sugar
● Salt and pepper for seasoning and taste
● Diced baked potatoes
● Baked beans and sautéed mushroom for the side
- Preheat the skillet between medium to high.
- While that goes on, you need to prepare the BBQ sauce because that’s the most crucial part. Combine the melted butter, mustard, dressing, and Worcestershire sauce. Add water and mix and then add the lemon juice and vinegar along with salt, pepper and brown sugar. Taste a bit and add anything according to your taste buds. You can change up the consistency too if you like by adding water.
- Now it’s time to brown the pork ribs on the skillet. Flip for the color to reach evenly on both sides.
- Turn down the heat a little lower and bathe the pork with the freshly made BBQ sauce. Again, flip to distribute the sauce evenly.
- Cover with a lid and let the pork ribs cook entirely for an hour as the sauce thickens.
- When your kitchen is smelling like barbecue goodness, it’s time to serve the ribs with a side of baked potatoes, beans and mushrooms.
You May Want to Read: The Ultimate Guide To Electric Skillet Reviews
Tips and Warnings
If you maintain some safety measures, your electric skillet will thank you with satisfactory service for years, as its lifespan increases. It goes without saying that you must always read the manual and instructions your electric skillet comes with. Other than that, here are some valuable tips and warnings:
- While you’re waiting for food to cook, make sure you’re nearby for easy monitoring.
- When it’s not in use, never keep the skillet on.
- With dishes like cooking pork ribs, where you have to add in powdery ingredients or oil or water every now and then, be careful not to spill around the hot pan. Oils are flammable, and spices might shoot in the air and cause a hazard.
- As soon as you’re done cooking, take the pot to a different surface. Never burden the surface of your electric skillet when you’re not using it.
Suppose you try out all these tasty and healthy recipes. In that case, your kitchen is going to smell amazing – all thanks to the almighty electric skillet. By now, you should realize that owning this cookware is a blessing in disguise.
It’s great for dishes of all kinds, and if you love cooking you can prepare anything you’re craving for. All you need is a little bit of patience and the right technique to sear up the healthiest savory dishes.